New Adventures

24 01 2009

I wrote in a recent post how my son Ben was going to move our washer and dryer from the basement to our kitchen.  He told me that it would be several weeks before he could get to that project.  I’m glad he didn’t tell me ahead of time when he was going to attempt the project.  He just called after lunch last Saturday to tell me that he was ready to get started.  Initially, he was going to just begin the project.  However, he decided to finish the project since he never has a moment’s peace from people calling him to do work. 

Linda, his wife, came too.  She and I visited together all the hours that Ben worked on Saturday.  We went to get pizza and that was the only break that Ben took.  I was amazed to see Ben create plumbing where no plumbing ever exisited before.  My daughter Sandy’s husband came over around 8:00 p.m. to help Ben  drag the washer and dryer up the stairs.  The washer was ready to use but Ben still had the electrical work to do on the dryer.  He came over Sunday afternoon to create an outlet for the dryer and hook up a venting system.  I had no idea that one could purchase a vent hose that was 20 plus feet.  He installed the long hose and attached it to a window in the basement.  I figure that if we had paid someone to do this job it would cost us close to $1000.00.  Ben spent about 12 hours completing the  project.  I’ve been very happy to have my washer and dryer in my kitchen especially since substitute teaching jobs have finally come my way again.

I mentioned in my last blog that I had worked with junior high and high school students for several years.  Those schools know me and the work would have been readily available.  Instead, I wanted some new learning adventures and so on Tuesday I visited all but one school in our district.  There are five schools in the city and five in the county.  I had never been willing to work in the county schools.  For one thing, it wasn’t practical when my children were in the school system.  It would have been too hard to accomplish.  These days, it is no problem.  My visits paid off and I had work the rest of the week.

On Wednesday I worked with four year olds.  They were so precious.  We had a morning group and then another group in the afternoon.  I think that is the most adorable age.  I just had so much fun with them.  (It has really helped that I have young grandsons.)  On Thursday I was called to one of the county schools.  I was a special education teacher that visited different classrooms working with specific children who cannot read or write.  They are not necessarily slow but have tremendous learning disabilities.  I read the assignments to the children and then wrote down the answers that were given to me.  I particularly enjoyed a 5th grade social studies class.  The teacher was extremely excited about teaching her young students.  She provided a very interesting environment for her students.  I finished my week with another different kind of assignment in one of the city schools.  Four substitutes were hired to fill in while teachers were in professional development for two hour slots. I had two second grade classes, a kindergarten class and a third grade class.  We had only minutes to change assignments and had to land in our next room, read the instructions real quick and get to work.  Twice I had to pick up students from their specials ( or art) before I even got to really meet them.  I had two times of taking children to the playground.  They are so active and I just prayed no child would get hurt.  There were always several classes out at the same time.  I just prayed that when I raised my hand to let them know it was time to leave the playground–that I’d get the right class.  It was certainly an intense day.  Each class had at least one student who just couldn’t keep still.  I had one kindergarten student who literally rolled his little body all over the room.  There was an aide in that room and she just implied that there was not much anyone could do for that child.  I tried to not let it get to me because there were so many others who were doing their work and were behaving quite well.

My experiences in teaching were not new.  I’ve taught elementary school  before but it has been many years.  Children haven’t changed much.  Young ones are very energetic.  However, I wasn’t bored at all.  There is nothing worse than being stuck in a classroom of high school student for 90 minutes at time when there are not enough lesson plans left for the substitute teacher.  No, there will never be a dull moment in elementary school. 

My day is never done though when school is dismissed.  Public elementary school is dismissed at 2:10 p.m.  but they start around 7:10 a.m.  So on the days I work in the city there is still time to pick up my grandsons at the private academy which has school until 3:00 p.m.  On the days that I work in the county–Vera will pick up the boys.  Vera teaches, too.  She works at a career college.  She teaches four hours in the morning and then she teaches a class from 6:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.  I’m grateful for help when I can get it.  We both help take care of John and Alex in the afternoons.  So I have some very busy days.  I was extremely glad to sleep until 6:45 a.m. this morning.  I’ve been getting up at 4:30 a.m.  during the weekdays.  But that is life–there are always new adventures.

God bless each of you!




3 responses

25 01 2009

Isn’t this amazing. I, too, get up every morning at 4 AM and on Mon and Tues, I ride the bus and attend a preschool with my 3 year old speacial needs child…we are back in school…again…

Yes, the adventures that are before us are not of our choosing, but they are important. It is like God is moving us around on a giant board to be where we are for least that is how I see it, Nichole.

Good Job…Teacher…

Your friend,

30 01 2009

Dear Shadowlands,
Yes, the adventures that God has for us are never ending. We’ve been battling an ice storm in kentucky. Many will be without power for several weeks. We do have power now but that is probably because we live right in the heart of town. Have you experienced the ice storm in Indiana?

Your friend,

31 01 2009

I was just going to email you and ask if you all had power. We didn’t lose power, but we got totally buried with 17 inches of snow and an inch of ice.

The roads are still horrible 4 days after the storm and there isn’t enough salt and snow plow trucks to clear this mess.

I was stuck here in the house for 3 days. I was going nuts worrying about not being able to get to my clients. I felt that I let them down, but I am not in a postition to get a vehicle that can deal with ice and snow.

I hope that you keep the power on and stay warm…I am so over this winter! I have my “Think Spring” plaque on the door and I have my flower catalog out…

Here is hoping that we have a early spring…I have heard more birds singing in the morning..I am taking that as a good sign…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: