A Daughter’s Love, A New Hair Style and St. Innocent Of Alaska

28 11 2007

Jim’s work schedule requires him to work 12 hour days now.  He likes to have time with the Lord ,so he gets up at 2:30 a.m.  He leaves for work an hour later.  Usually, he is in bed by 7:00 p.m. I like to stay up until 9:00 p.m. So last night, after I finished all of my chores–I checked all my blogs, which now includes  the blog my daughter Sandy just started. 

I was so touched to read these words: “My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last Tuesday.  I have been in my own litle world since then.  I am hoping that it was caught in the early stages.  She will not know for a few weeks.  She had an appointment with her doctor today and she learned alot about diet, and how it relates to cancer.  My new motivation is my mom.  Every mile I run is for her.  I hope to find a breast cancer marathon to run for her.”

I was so deeply touched by her sharing this on her blog.  Her blog is hard to leave a message on, so I called her up and thanked her.  She is training for a marathon in April, so that will be quite a challenge on top of being a CPA and the mother of two small boys.

I love the way Sandy wears her hair, so I decided to have my hair cut off and styled like hers.  She wears that sort of v shape look that is page boy in the front and tapered off in the back.  This was a very popular hairstyle when I was in highschool and is now popular again.  For the most part, I’ve always worn my hair at least shoulder length. My hair was three inches past my shoulder.  I cut it about three inches on Monday and today I had Sandy’s hairdresser style my hair with the v cut.  I knew I wouldn’t be able to deal with long , thick hair after my surgery.  This way I can just blow it dry.  I’m hoping I won’t have to have chemotherapy and that I can keep my hair.  I will just have to take it one day at a time.  I feel very liberated with this shorter style.  It was getting to be burdensome always having to plan to curl my hair after it dried.  At 55, I just can’t do it anymore–sick or well.

I’ve written before how many of the saints loved and cared for animals.  I want to introduce my non Orthodox friends to St. Innocent Of Alaska.  I have a little story about him that I will summarize.  He went on a kayak trip to take a brief rest from his duties as a bishop.  Along the way, he stopped for a break. He heard some sounds in a bush and discovered an eagle with a bloody, wounded wing.  St. Innocent took the eagle home with him and nursed it back to health.  Upon taking the bird up a mountain to let it loose– the bird didn’t want to go.  The eagle lived with St. Innocent a few months more.  Finally, the bird was ready to live again on it’s own.  Many months later, this eagle returned and bowed down to St Innocent’s feet three times.  Then the eagle flew away.  I really liked this little story and hope each of you who reads it– will too.

Oh, P.S.– I fixed a broccoli casserole tonight with onions, mushroom soup and brown rice.  The rice and the broccoli were organic.  Slowly, but surely I’m moving towards more organic food.  It was great!

God bless each of you!




2 responses

28 11 2007
Lynnae @ Being Frugal

You are very blessed to have a daughter like Sandy.

28 11 2007

Thank you Lynnae. She is a treasure!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: